The European fund for agriculture and rural development
Along with the adhesion to the European Union, our country follows the common agricultural politics that implies a series of measures, most of them related to the rural development.
The European Fund for Agriculture and Rural Development is a European post-adhesion fund, as opposed to The Program SAPARD, which is a European fund of preadhesion. Romania will receive this year only, almost a billion euros for agriculture. The investments that will be allowed to receive irredeemable funds by EFARD have not been established exactly; for the moment, there are proposals to establish those eligible investments.
According to the Settlement of the Council of Europe No. 1290/2005 regarding the finance of the common agricultural politics there have been created two European funds for agriculture named EFAG (European Fund of Agricultural Guarantee) for the finance of marketing measures and EFARD (The European Fund for Agriculture and Rural Development) for the finance of rural development programs. In 2004, the European Commission proposed for 2007-2013 to create a European Fund for Fishing. This fund will replace the Financial Instrument for Orienting in Fishing that covers the years 2000-2006.
By the Government’s Emergency Ordinance No. 13/ February 2006 it was founded The Payment Agency for Rural Development and Fishing. The new structure, beside the development of The Program SAPARD will assure the technical and financial implementation of The European Fund for Agriculture and Rural Development (EFARD) and of the European Fund for Fishing (EFF).
The way this funds will definitely finance the investments is given by the National Program for Rural Development 2007-2013, document that is being elaborated by the Ministry of the Agriculture, Woods and Rural development. In this moment, in the wake of the National Strategic Plan 2007-2013 there have been outlined four anterior directions for funding by means of EFARD.
- Therefore, it will be pursued the reorganization and development of the agricultural and forest production and of the afferent processing industries. All these will take into consideration the improvement of the professional abilities, with a durable management and the observation of the environmental exigencies.
- A component that The European Union emphasizes is that of biodiversity and nature’s preservation, which will materialize by the support of forest preservation and development, assuring the balanced occupation of the territory and the development of durable management practices of agricultural and forest fields.
- There will not be left out the much-expected investments in the development of the infrastructure and rural services, o bigger importance given to the economical multifunction of rural areas, but also the preservation and valorization of the cultural and architectural patrimony.
- A forth direction will see about the implementation of local development strategies for the improvement of the administrative government at a rural level.
The Payment Agency for Rural Development and Fishing is responsible for the financial and/or technical implementation of the measures comprised by the Axis I and Axis III. These axes are clearly defined in the Order No. 243 from April 14, 2006.
Here are the measures included in all the four axes:
THE PRIMARILY AXIS I – The improvement of the agricultural and forest sector’s competitiveness (45% of the total funds allocated)
1. Actions for professional preparation and information, including the spreading of scientific knowledge and innovator practices to the persons engaged in the agricultural, alimentary and forest sector.
2. The settlement of young farmers in the rural environment.
3. The early retrial of farmers and agricultural workers.
4. The farmers and forest owners should use consultancy.
5. Modernization of the agricultural exploitations.
6. The increase of the economical value of the forests.
7. The increase of the added value for agricultural and forest products.
8. Improvement and developing of the infrastructure related to the development and adaptation of the agriculture and of the forestry.
9. The uphold of agricultural exploitations of subsistence.
10. The uphold of foundation of producers groups.
THE PRIMARILY AXIS II - The improvement of the environment and of the sights
- Non-productive investments in the agricultural and forest domain.
- The first founding of agro-forest systems on agricultural fields.
THE PRIMARILY AXIS III - The quality of life in the rural space and the diversification of rural economy
- The diversification of the non-agricultural activities.
- Support for the creation and development of micro-enterprises with the purpose of promoting the enterprising spirit.
- Encouraging touristic activities.
- Basic services for the rural economy and population.
- Repair and development of villages.
- Conservation and improvement of rural inheritance.
- Preparation and information
- Animation and achievement of professional aptitudes.
THE PRIMARILY AXIS IV – LEADER
Regarding the European Fund for Fishing, The Payment Agency for Rural Development and Fishing received the payment function, in the terms of delegating based on an inter-institutional agreement and the implementation function offered to this fund.
The European Fund for Fishing will implement The Common Policy for Fishing that refers to the assurance on long term of fishing activities in an efficient exploitation of aquatic resources, to the sizing of fishing fleets, as well as the development and improvement of marine life, lakes and costal areas affected by the intense fishing activities and the aquaculture.
The support allotted by the EFF can be directed on five priorities, of which we mention the exoneration of the fishing fleets, aquaculture, but also the sustainable development of costal fishing areas. The European Board proposed The European Fund for Fishing (EFF) as a new programming instrument for fishing, included in the financing perspective of The European Union 2007-2013. EFF replaces the present Financial Instrument of Fishing Orientation (FIFO) that is effective for the period 2000-2006. This proposition hints the modification of the Regulation EC No. 1263/1999 of the Council from June 21, 1999, regarding the financial instrument of fishing orientation and of the Regulation No. 2792/1999 of the Council from December 17, 1999, that defines the modalities and conditions for the structural actions of the Community in the fishing sector. As the previous instrument, EFF is based on the Common Politics for Fishing (CPF). Among others, EFF will contribute to the implementation of the changes brought by CPF from the last reform from 2002. Taking into consideration the evolution of the sector and the last extension of the European Union, EFF will help to the practice of a durable fishing and the diversification of economical activities in the fishing areas.
To assure the realization of CPF, EFF may allow a financial support for the achievement of the economical objectives of environment and social regarding:
- the assurance of the agelessness of the durable fishing and exploitation activity of the halieutic resources;
- the abatement of the stores pressure, balancing the fleet’s capacity o communication regarding the available marine resources;
- the reinforcement of the economically viable enterprises development in the fishing sector and the development of the exploiting structures of the more or less competitive resources;
- the favorer of the environment and marine resources preservation and protection;
- the encouragement of the durable development in the coastal, maritime and lacustrine area where there are practiced activities such as fishing, aquaculture; the improvement of the working conditions in these areas;
- the human resources exploitation and the promotion of equality between man and woman, that develop their activity in the fishing sector;
One of the main objectives of EFF is the funds allowance and administration’s simplification. The responsibilities of the Board and of the Member States will be specified based on the subsidiarity’s principle. After discussing with the implied partners, The Member States will elaborate a national strategic plan that indicates the specific objectives and the national priorities for the CPF implementation. According to the strategic orientations of the Community for the CPF development, the actions sustained by means of EFF will play the role of a referential frame for the programming. This strategic plan, that includes the interventions, the financial participation of EFF and of other resources, will serve as base for the establishment of operational programs.
The Board establishes the strategic orientations for the durable development of the fishing sector and of the costal areas regarding the definement of intervention priorities for the programming period 2007-2013. The latest 3 months after the activation of the proposed regulation, there will be adopted the strategic orientations through the procedure scheduled at Art. 37 from the Treaty establishing the European Communities. For the period 2000-2006, the IFOP financial program the financing of maximum 3, 7 billiards Euro for EU-15 and the 10 states that became a member in May 2004. The new financial instrument, EFF, proposes a financial allowance of 4,963 billiard Euros for the enlarged Europe of 27 member states.
The European funds for agriculture will not be distributed by Romania earlier than September, because the payment agencies that will deliver the money are not ready yet, although one of the conditions for Romania’s adhesion to the European Union was that these should function. In addition, The National Plan for Rural Development that must be approved by Bruxell will be presented only after a month or two.
Still, hope dies last. `